A small puddle of water collects in the sink basin or bathtub indicating a leaking tap Melbourne. According to a News Service, repairing all leaking taps in Victoria could save tens of thousands of litres of clean water in a year. It may be necessary to determine the type of Leaking Tap Melbourne as well as its placement if two taps are separate for cold or hot water use. Leaking Tap Melbourne may be a modern washer-less tap or contain a rubber washer in its housing. Washers are noted to come in standard sizes.
Do It Yourself: Leaking Tap Melbourne
Most Website resources agree that it is less expensive to repair or replace a Leaking Tap Melbourne yourself than to hire a plumber whose service charges may or may not be at a competitive rate. The cost to fix a leaking faucet is estimated to be $30 to $100 depending on what has to be replaced and the kind of faucet. Tools and time are considered in the overall estimate. Hardware including wrenches, valve seat, washers, mountings, connectors packing, and fittings are much of the required materials. Time estimated is between one and two hours for the entire process including clean up.
Steps to Repair: Leaking Tap Melbourne
It is necessary to first locate the main water supply shut-off valve. This could be underneath the sink itself, or in some homes it is outside near the street. If the valve is under the basin, determine if there is a separate valve for hot water and cold water. Turn each valve off, and then turn the Leaking Tap Melbourne on and off to ensure completion of this step.
- Tools: Repairing a Leaking Tap Melbourne can be a quick project or a complete mess dependent on tools available.
- Basin Wrench: This contains an angled-head for getting at nuts that are in awkward positions.
- Seat Wrench: This tool may be used for replacing certain types of leaking tap Melbourne in sinks or bathtubs. A hardware clerk may be able to best advise if you have a picture, model number and brand of the fixture in question.
- Teflon Tape: This tool can provide added protection for the leaking tap Melbourne. It is also handy if properly stored for future use when necessary.
Further Considerations: Leaking Tap Melbourne
Once the main water supply shut-off has been located and implemented, repair of the Leaking Tap Melbourne can proceed.
- Remove the handle and tap cover from the unit; moreover, unscrew the tap headgear nut.
- Place nuts and other extraneous parts on a cloth to avoid scratching them or the basin.
- Make sure the spout is secure while unscrewing the headgear. Failure to do so can result in damage to pipework.
- Remove the washer from the leaking tap. In most cases the washer is located in the pin on the bottom side of the fixture.
Plumbing Services: Leaking Tap Melbourne
There are special instances when you may consider calling a trustworthy, licensed plumber Melbourne such as Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing. The Leaking Tap Melbourne may have defective parts, or the fixture may need regrinding. Additional problems may be contributing to the water leak. Contacting Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing with a brief question or explanation of the problem can aid in determining if a professional service required.