24/7 Plumber

Call  1300 931 384

Why Professional Carbon Monoxide Testing Is Safer Than Co2 Detectors

It is standard practice to install Co2 detectors in homes and businesses. These devices are affordable, widely available and protect a building’s occupants by alerting them to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the air. Co2 alarms and detectors save hundreds of lives every year. However, these basic household detectors have limitations and are significantly less sensitive than professional testing services. 

The most effective way to safeguard against Co2 leaks in your home or business is with scheduled carbon monoxide tests conducted by a licensed gas installer.

What Are the Benefits of Carbon Monoxide Testing?

The biggest difference between commercial Co2 detectors and professional onsite carbon monoxide testing is the sensitivity of the testing tools. The tests carried out by licensed gas installers use finely tuned instruments that are calibrated to detect trace amounts of carbon dioxide in millions of atmospheric parts. These ultra-sensitive tools can alert occupants to the presence of abnormal C02 levels long before they accumulate and become toxic.

 It’s why professional onsite Co2 testing is recommended for all buildings but particularly businesses and large apartment blocks where lots of people congregate. Scheduled CO2 testing should, ideally, be used in addition to standard Co2 detectors. Like smoke alarms, commercial Co2 detectors are good for alerting occupants to toxic gas buildups after they’ve occurred and the environment has already become unsafe. They’re very effective as a last defensive measure. Whereas scheduled Co2 testing detects minor gas leaks from furnaces, stoves and other appliances before they become harmful. 

Used together, Co2 detectors and pro carbon monoxide testing cover all the bases when it comes to protecting your home or business from harmful fumes.

What Happens During a Scheduled Carbon Monoxide Test?

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that may be emitted from gas-powered appliances such as water heaters, cookers and furnaces when they break down or are incorrectly installed. Because Co2 can’t be seen, tasted or smelled in the atmosphere, hyper-sensitive electric detectors are used to sample the air inside an indoor space and measure how many parts per million (ppm) are carbon monoxide. 

This type of carbon monoxide testing takes around 10 – 15 minutes per gas appliance. So if you’ve got three gas-powered appliances at home, you can expect a thorough safety assessment in well under an hour. The onsite Co2 detectors are portable and unobtrusive so they can be used to test the air in any type of commercial or residential environment. These detectors are different to the Co2 detectors one can buy in hardware stores. They are much more sensitive and calibrated to detect trace amounts of carbon monoxide so that even the smallest gas leaks can be identified and repaired promptly. 

The onsite testing process is quick and minimally disruptive. Upon completion, a qualified inspector explains the results, highlighting any areas of concern and recommending solutions and next best steps. Post inspection, businesses may request a gas safety certificate to show their indoor air and gas-powered appliances are safe and well managed. These certificates remain valid for a year after which a new Co2 test should be scheduled.

Why Is Carbon Monoxide Testing So Important?

Deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning have fallen since the advent of regular C02 testing and the use of C02 detectors in homes. However, hundreds of Australians are hospitalised every year with the symptoms of acute carbon monoxide toxicity. While trace amounts of the gas are unlikely to cause serious sickness, it’s practically impossible to tell whether a leak is insignificant or highly toxic without the right detection equipment. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning progresses quickly and can render a person unconscious within hours if they are in an enclosed space with poor ventilation. If you have gas appliances and suddenly experience any of the following symptoms, leave the building.      

  • Dizziness       
  • Headaches       
  • Confusion      
  • Nausea    
  • Chest pains   
  • Weakness 

If your symptoms improve as soon as you start breathing fresh air, there might be a carbon monoxide leak. Schedule a Co2 test as soon as possible. Do not reenter the affected space unless you can open all the doors and windows to clean the air. If you suspect a certain appliance is emitting gas, switch it off if you can do so without putting yourself in danger. Otherwise, leave the space and report the problem to a gas inspector immediately.

Call Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing for Certified Carbon Monoxide Testing

Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing is your local gas inspection and repair service. We have the experience, equipment and know-how to test your home or business for dangerous Co2 emissions. Call 1300 931 384 today to speak with a member of our team and arrange a visit from a certified inspector.

Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing specialises in hot water system and gas plumbing repairs. Whether it’s a leaky tap, burst pipe or faulty appliance that’s causing you problems, our skilled technicians can guarantee a fast, affordable solution.



Spread the love

Posted in: Blog

Leave a Comment (0) ↓
man small