Water damage can vary significantly from a small amount of wood warping or swelling cabinets to more serious damage like buckling of floorboards and damaged walls.
Small drips of water can cause slow damage in a specific spot It is important that you locate the leak early enough so the damage can be limited. A plumber Melbourne will be able to assist you locating the leak. Unfortunately small leaks usually only happen while water is in use and stop when its tuned off. Taps usually only leak when water is running through them. This makes the leaks can very hard to detect. You might notice a wet spot but it will eventually dry out. You might even open and close a bathroom or kitchen cupboard door many times before noticing any damp or wet patches
Water leaks that occur from drainage pipes supplying your home with water have water flowing into them constantly so the leaking will be constant. This is great as it makes it easier for a plumber Melbourne to locate the leak. Importantly, with any leaking pipes the sooner they are repaired the less damage they are likely to cause, thus saving you money
Below are a few prevention tips to avoid water leak damage to your home:
- Check the water supply lines and pipes to major appliances for wetness, bulging hoses or other signs of deterioration. For example, your dishwasher or your washing machine. A plumber Melbourne can assist you with this.
- Unclog the drain if pipes are draining slowly and check pipes under the sink for signs of water leaks. You might need a plumber Melbourne to help you unblock the drain.
- To reduce leaks and avoid major repairs, replace your hot water system every 8 – 12 years. A plumber Melbourne will be required to help you install a new hot water system.
- Have your home’s air conditioning system serviced annually to avoid leaks and major repairs. This will save you money in the long run.
- Regularly check for wet patches on walls or in gardens after dry weather months. A plumber Melbourne can provide assistance with this.
- Place food dye in the toilet cistern to check for leaks in the toilet. This works really well to locate leaks.
- Ensure all your appliances are turned off such as taps, toilets are not dripping; washing machine or dishwashers and other appliances are not running. After you have turned everything off, check if your water meter is ticking over. If the water meter continues to tick over, it means there is a leak somewhere in your plumbing system.
If you suspect a water leak in your home, it is highly recommended that you call a plumber Melbourne immediately.