Carbon monoxide testing is an essential part of the maintenance of any Australian home, mainly if you rely on gas or oil to heat your home.
Everyday appliances such as stoves, ovens, and fires release carbon monoxide into the air of your home. This can be very dangerous because carbon monoxide has no smell and can be deadly. Therefore, it’s recommended that every household do a test every few months to check for carbon monoxide poisoning. Regular testing can give you peace of mind that you are not exposing yourself or your family to any potential harm from this silent killer.
How do you know if carbon monoxide is present in Your Home;
1. The Fire Failing to Light
This is because there isn’t any oxygen present. This is a big sign that carbon monoxide is present.
2. Clues of Corrosion or Metal Pitting
This is caused by carbon monoxide reacting to the metal inside your appliance, making it brittle and weak.
3. A Hissing Sound
If you hear a sizzling sound around any of your appliances, especially ones used for heating, this can be an indicator that there is carbon monoxide in your home.
4. Poor Performance of Appliances
This is most useful when appliances are used for heating. If they are using more fuel than usual, there may be carbon monoxide in your home.
5. Unusual Smells
If you smell gas, oil, or burning odors in any part of your house, it is recommended that you leave immediately and call a plumber to test the levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Shortness of breath and loss of coordination
- Loss of consciousness and death (in extreme cases)
Ways to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Home
- Regularly check that all appliance vents are not blocked by carpets or furniture that could restrict airflow into your home, causing carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Maintain all your appliances regularly; If they are dirty or broken, they may emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
- Ensure you have a carbon monoxide detector installed on every floor of your home, preferably near all appliances and fireplaces.
- If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above or suspect that there is possibly carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. Leave immediately and call a gas plumber to come test for dangerous levels of CO2 in your home as soon as possible.
- Do regular check-ups on your appliances to ensure they are working correctly and do not emit carbon monoxide into the air. If you suspect an issue with any of your appliances or suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning, call a plumber immediately.
How Carbon Monoxide Testing Is Done:
- The gas plumber will bring a device to your residence that can detect the presence of carbon monoxide.
- The gas plumber will attach a probe to one end of the tool and place it within three feet of any suspected appliances.
- While the probe is in position, they’ll start testing by turning on each appliance, then check back at the machine for any result from the needle on the readout from the CO detector.
- The plumber will usually recommend flushing out certain appliances such as oil furnaces or fireplaces before testing again, so there isn’t any chance of contaminating results.
How Does a Gas Plumber Fix Carbon Monoxide Problems?
1. Fix Potential Leaks
The source of any gas leaks should be found and fixed so that the appliance will no longer emit carbon monoxide into your home.
2. Replace Damaged Appliances
If there is a source for this leakage. You should replace the appliances with a new appliance that doesn’t leak emissions into your air.
3. Clean the Furnace
Clean the furnace by evacuating carbon monoxide.
4. Regular Check-Ups
Regular check-ups can help you identify problems with appliances before they become dangerous and harm your health.
The Importance of Getting Carbon Monoxide Testing Done by A Professional Gas Plumber:
The gas plumbers are trained and experienced in the job and know how to get it done efficiently.
It is always best to work with a professional who will ensure your safety and well-being when working on your home, especially if you have any concerns regarding carbon monoxide.
The plumber has passed many tests and checks to make sure they are qualified for their job. You can be sure that you won’t receive anything but reliable services from a licensed plumber.
Unlicensed plumbers may not understand how to do their jobs properly, and results can vary depending on the person’s training and experience levels. A professional ensures accurate and consistent results.
5. Valuable Information
The gas plumber will provide you with valuable information on maintaining your appliances and remove any carbon monoxide from your home.
Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing, is a professional and experienced company that offers carbon monoxide testing services to ensure your house is safe. They also provide other services like repairs for hot water systems, gas plumbing, leaking taps, burst pipes, etc. All their professionals are fully qualified with the best equipment to get accurate results for your CO testing. Call 1300 931 384 today!