A blocked Toilet in Melbourne can be a major inconvenience and a serious health hazard if not addressed promptly. Not only can a clogged toilet cause water to overflow and potentially damage your floor and fixtures, but it can also create a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful germs. In addition, the smell of a blocked toilet can be unpleasant and potentially embarrassing if you have guests over. In this post, we’ll explore the causes of a blocked toilet, how to prevent them, and what to do if you find yourself facing this common household problem. So whether you’re dealing with a blockage right now or just want to be proactive, read on for some helpful tips and tricks.
Never Flush These Items down Your Toilet
You are likely to end up with a blocked toilet in your Melbourne home if you flush the wrong items down your toilet. There are several items that should never be flushed down a toilet, as they can cause a blockage or damage to the plumbing system. These include:
- Baby wipes, even if they are labeled as “flushable”
- Feminine hygiene products
- Paper towels and tissues
- Cotton swabs and Q-tips
- Dental floss
- Grease or oil
Simple DIY Methods To Unclog Your Blocked Toilet
If you have a Blocked Toilet in Melbourne, there are a few simple DIY methods you can try to unclog it. They include:
- Use a plunger: Plungers are designed specifically to clear blockages in toilets. Start by wetting the rubber end of the plunger and placing it over the opening at the bottom of the toilet bowl. Then, push down on the handle to create suction and try to loosen the blockage. If the plunger doesn’t work, try using it in combination with hot water.
- Use a toilet auger: A toilet auger is a long, flexible rod with a curved end that can reach deep into the toilet to remove blockages. To use it, insert the auger into the toilet bowl and push it through the pipe until you feel resistance. Then, turn the auger handle clockwise to loosen and remove the blockage.
- Try using hot water and dish soap: Pour a pot of hot water (not boiling) into the toilet bowl, followed by a couple of squirts of dish soap. The hot water and soap can help to break down the blockage and make it easier to remove.
If these methods don’t work, or if you can’t identify the cause of the blockage, it’s best to call a plumber for professional help.
Why You need Professional Help To Unblock Your Toilet
There are a few reasons why you may need professional help to clear your blocked Toilet in Melbourne:
- The blockage is too deep or too difficult to reach: If the blockage is too deep in the pipes or is stuck at a bend in the plumbing, it may be difficult or impossible to reach with a plunger or toilet auger. A professional plumber has the tools and experience to reach and remove even the most stubborn blockages.
- The blockage is caused by a more serious issue: Sometimes, a blocked toilet is a symptom of a larger problem with your plumbing, such as a sewer line blockage or a damaged pipe. A professional plumber can identify the root cause of the blockage and make the necessary repairs to prevent future issues.
- You want to prevent damage to your plumbing: If you’re not sure what’s causing the blockage or how to properly unclog your toilet, attempting to do it yourself can potentially cause further damage to your plumbing. A professional plumber has the knowledge and expertise to safely and effectively unblock your toilet without causing any additional damage. For instance, the use of drain cameras can help in identifying such issues.
We Can Help
If you’re in need of professional help to unblock your toilet in Melbourne, look no further than Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing. Our team of experienced and licensed plumbers is equipped with the latest drain cleaning and drain camera technology to quickly and effectively unblock your toilet and diagnose any underlying issues. In addition to unblocking toilets, we also offer a range of other plumbing services including repairs to hot water systems, leaking taps, burst pipes, and gas plumbing. We’re available 24/7 to ensure that your plumbing issues are taken care of promptly, no matter the time of day. Contact us at 1300 931 384 to schedule a service or for more information about our services.