Toilet backup is among the most common plumbing concerns that property owners in Melbourne face. If this plumbing problem is manageable, one can try unblocking the toilet themselves. However, some cases may require the attention of a reliable plumber like Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing. A reputable plumber has access to cutting edge equipment and tools and can use innovative and approved techniques to unblock a blocked toilet in Melbourne homes.
If your toilet clogs often, it is essential to note some of the possible causes to help you prevent future blockage. Keep an eye out for the following toilet clogging causes.
Trying to flush down non-flushable items
Manufacturers design toilets to dispose of certain materials. For instance, toilet tissue dissolves water fast, so it cannot cause a problem. However, paper towels and disposable tissues cannot be flushed down the toilet. Cotton balls, dental floss, Q-Tips, and wet wipes are some of the items that can cause constant backups in the toilet. To discourage your family members from disposing of these non-flushable items in the toilet, keep a large trash can in the bathroom.
Sewer line problems
Clogs in multiple drains and toilets in your Melbourne property is a sign of a significant sewer line problem. The buildup of waste materials and non-flushable items in the main sewer line can clog in several fixtures. In addition, tree roots can puncture your sewer line, allowing blockage-causing debris to get into the line. Sewer line problems can lead to significant issues outside and inside your home.
Blocked plumbing vent
Modern toilets and other plumbing fixtures funnel fresh air into the plumbing systems using roof vents. The roof vents also prevent air-pressure vacuums, which hinder the drain flow. These vents can get clogged over time with animal nests, sticks, and leaves. Once the toilet vent is clogged, there will be a reduction in drain flow causing regular clogs. Therefore, it is vital to involve a professional plumber to clear the vents regularly and minimize the chances of dealing with a blocked toilet in Melbourne.
Low flow toilet
Many property owners have first-generation toilets, which use various low-flow designs to save water. Sometimes, the early forms of these toilets may lack the required pressure to clear the internal trap. This often leads to severe clogs. The best way to prevent clogs in this kind of toilet is by avoiding clog-prone items and limiting the use of tissue paper. If the problem occurs often, the solution will be installing an advanced toilet.
If a blocked toilet in Melbourne is not handled correctly or left unattended for an extended period, it can get worse over time and cause severe damage to your property. Some of the common damages that a blocked toilet can cause include:
- Poor water quality: This depends on the intensity of the damage. Bacteria may begin to breed and grow fast. That can pose severe health issues to you and your family.
- Odors: Your property might have foul smells from the blocked toilet. Unfortunately, even lighting a candle cannot do away with the odor.
- Structural damage: If the blocked toilet ends up leaking, the water may pool near the foundation and in several corners of your property. This may weaken the structural integrity of your property.
- Insects: The stagnant water and foul odors may create a conducive environment not only for bacteria but also for insects to breed. When the insect population increases, other critters may make your property their home since there is a constant source of food.
- Costly repairs: Most property owners stay up at night trying to figure out how much it may cost them to repair the blocked toilet. However, if you contact a professional plumber to handle the plumbing problem before it gets worse, the cost of repair can be significantly lower.
How to clear a blocked toilet in Melbourne using a plunger
In most cases, one can use a toilet plunger to clear a blocked toilet or drain. The tool has a narrowed bottom that manufacturers designed to fit in the hole of the toilet bowl. It also has a large cup that seals the outside of the hole. With the tips below, you can unblock your toilet easily. However, we recommend always using waterproof gloves when trying to unblock the toilet. The steps you should take include:
- Prepare the plunger – Add water into the toilet bowl until it is half full to seal the drain opening. Extend the plunger cup to work effectively in your blocked toilet.
- Position the plunger – At an angle, lower the plunger into the bowl to ensure the plunger cup fills with water. That helps in increasing the plunging force.
- Pump the plunger – Pump the plunger swiftly and repeatedly, sending pressure down the drain to push the obstruction. Throughout the motions, make sure you maintain a good seal. The plunger creates a suction effect when it comes up to loosen the clog and push it down the drain.
- Test the toilet – Flush the toilet to determine if the clog has cleared. However, if the bowl looks like it may overflow, push down the flapper in the tank to stop the water flow in the bowl. Repeat the same process until the toilet is clear.
If the problem persists, contact Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing at 1300 931 384 to service your blocked toilet in Melbourne. We use advanced drain cameras and drain cleaning equipment and tools to ensure an effective job. We also offer other plumbing services such as fixing leaking pipes, hot water system repairs, gas plumbing installation and repairs, and fixing burst pipes among many others.