A leaking tap’s drip can be annoying. Apart from the unpleasant sound, it also wastes an important resource and can substantially increase your water bill. A leaking tap in Melbourne homes can let up to 500 liters per week go to waste. If the faucet is dripping hot water, it can significantly waste energy and water. It can also lead to water damage to your home’s walls, floors, and foundation. It can also lead to mold growth.
A dripping tap may seem small, but it can be costly and lead to irreparable damage if you leave it unchecked.
What causes a leaking tap?
The common reasons for tap leaks include:
- A damaged or loose O-ring – This part is found in the tap handles, and it’s meant to create a waterproof seal. A loose or damaged O-ring causes water to leak close to a tap’s handle.
- A worn out or improperly installed washer – The washer is a small rubber ring found in the tap that stops the water flow. It wears out over time and causes leaks. Water may also leak if the washer is poorly installed.
- A worn-out valve seat – This is where the tap meets with the spout. General wear and tear or mineral build-up can ruin the valve seat, leading to leaks.
- Worn-out cartridge – The cartridge controls the water temperature and flow. It can get ruined over time because of wear and tear.
- Household plumbing issues – A tap can leak because of larger problems with your pipes. One clear sign of a broken pipe is minimal water pressure. However, the problem can also result in inconsistent leaking from your property’s water fixtures.
- Water pressure problems – A tap can leak because of inconsistent water pressure. For instance, if the leaking coincides with when you shower or flush the toilet, the problem could be unstable water pressure.
Measures to take if you have a leaking tap
If you have some handy person skills, you can fix a dripping tap. You can replace the washer in a typical faucet where a damaged washer is causing the dripping. In the case of a Monobloc tap where a damaged ceramic cartridge is causing the leaking, the solution is to replace the cartridge. The tools and supplies you need to replace a leaking tap in Melbourne include the following:
- Replacement cartridge
- Adjustable spanner
- Cross-headed screwdriver
To fix a dripping tap, take these steps:
- Stop the water supply coming from the mainline to prevent any further mess.
- Remove the tap’s decorated parts from the knob using a flat-head screwdriver.
- Remove the stem – This involves applying lubricant on the faucet handle and unscrewing it to take the handle off the stem. Loosen the packing nut using a spanner and remove the stem. The stem can pop out, or you may have to twist it off the valve depending on the kind of tap.
- Look out for damages. If a part is damaged, replace it.
- Reassemble the parts and test the tap to determine if it is working properly.
Many property owners fix their taps only to find that they are still dripping. It is, therefore, better to call a plumber to fix a leaking tap in Melbourne. Plumbers have special knowledge and tools to diagnose the problems and repair the tap appropriately.
Reasons to Hire Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing
It is time-consuming to tackle plumbing issues that you need help with. You might also end up causing further damage to your property. Instead of making several trips to a hardware store or spending hours watching DIY plumbing videos, it is better to contact expert plumbers to fix your leaking tap. Here is why:
The cost of buying the tools required to fix leaky taps can exceed the amount you would pay a trained plumber to handle the issue. Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing has the appropriate tools like strap wrenches and cutters to complete the job quickly and properly.
Our professional plumbers have the training and experience required to diagnose what’s causing the tap to leak. We take time to examine all aspects of the leak. Therefore, we can resolve other plumbing problems that could have otherwise resulted in significant damage later.
Hiring Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing means a warranty will back all the materials and plumbing work. Our credible plumbers will come to your property, assess the issue, and take care of it properly. We offer 24 hour emergency services and have all the necessary spare parts in our vehicles to repair your taps.
When dealing with a leaking tap in Melbourne, you need a reliable and fast plumbing company. Speak to the professionals at Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing at 1300 931 384 if you cannot repair the tap and need assistance from expert plumbers. We also offer other plumbing services, including repairing burst pipes, unblocking blocked drains, appliance installation, hot water system installation and repair, toilet repairs, and handling gas plumbing problems.