Leaking tap Melbourne generally leaks from the tap washer through the spout, where the spindle screws into the head around the body washer
Tools and materials to repair a leaking tap Melbourne
The tools and materials you need to change a washer are available from hardware or plumbing supply stores. You will require: adjustable spanner to fit tap nut Valve or tap washer, Body washer, O-ring, Silicon, lubricant or Vaseline and Needle nose pliers
Method to repair a leaking tap Melbourne
- Turn off the water mains to your leaking tap Melbourne : this stops all water flowing into your house. The tap & water meter for homes will probably be out on the street or in your front yard adjacent to the street. If you live in a flat or townhouse the mains tap will probably be inside, for example in the bathroom or a cupboard. Turn on a tap in or around the house to make sure that the water has ceased to run. (If the water has not stopped running, it will be necessary to call a professional plumber Melbourne). If the mains tap has not been used for many years, you may need a pair of multigrips to help turn it off. You need to know where the mains tap is to be able to turn the water off in an emergency. If you are not sure where it is, even if you don’t need to change a washer, find out now!
- Undo the head nut of your leaking tap Melbourne: once the mains water has been turned off, undo the head nut on the leaking tap Melbourne.
- Replace the washers of your leaking tap Melbourne : you could just replace the tap washer, but it is a good idea to replace all three washers at the same time. These are: The large washer around the head nut, which is called the body washer (usually orange in colour). It should lift off quite easily. The O-ring on the spindle. To change the O-ring, you need to fully close the tap until the O-ring appears. Then, with a pair of needle nose pliers (or a screwdriver or a sharp knife), prize or cut it off. The new O-ring should easily stretch and roll on to the spindle.Lastly, replace the tap washer. It may simply slide out of the spindle or stay sitting in the body of the tap, in which case you will need a pair of small pliers to remove the washer.
- Reassemble you leaking tap Melbourne : first ensure the spindle and the threaded areas are lubricated with a silicon lubricant or Vaseline.
- Turn the mains back on of your leaking tap Melbourne: once the tap is reassembled, open it half way and then turn on the mains. When turning the tap off after the washer has been replaced, use gentle finger pressure. Over-tightening will cause a lot of damage to the tap seat. A tap should only be tightened until the water flow stops, no further. (Note:If the tap is still leaking after you have replaced the washer, it means the seat is “pitted” and you will need a plumber Melbourne to regrind the seat for you.
Further information about the washers of your leaking tap Melbourne
Most of inside taps take 12mm (1/2″) washers; while outside taps (garden taps) take 3/4″ (18mm). Washers cost around $2.00 to $3.00 each. The most popular washer (used by most plumbers) is a heavy-duty washer suitable for hot and cold taps, with a copper base and a yellow top (Delaware valve) – approximately $3.00 each. This same type of washer is good for outside garden taps – 18mm costs approximately $3.00 each.
If your taps are very old, take the worn-out washer to the hardware or plumbers’ supply store so that you get the right washer for your tap.
Melbourne 24 Hour Plumbing is your local plumber Melbourne specialist. If you have an issue with a blocked drain Melbourne or hot water system Melbourne, then you need a 24 hour plumber Melbourne or an emergency plumber Melbourne to service you. You might also reach out to a gas plumber Melbourne to help you. It’s important that you have a plumber Melbourne, Melbourne plumber, plumbing Melbourne, plumbers Melbourne you can trust. Drain Camera Melbourne and Carbon Monoxide Testing Melbourne are other service we offer to our clients. Emergency Plumbing Melbourne is important to your home system. Do you have a Burst Pipe Melbourne? Our public holiday plumber is available 24/7.
We service many suburbs including:
Plumber Prahran, Plumber South Yarra, Plumber Toorak, Plumber Carlton, Plumber Brunswick, Plumber Brighton, Plumber Camberwell, Plumber St Kilda, Plumber Malvern, Plumber Elwood, Plumber Caulfield, Plumber Cranbourne, Plumber Doncaster, Plumber Frankston, Plumber Williams Town, Plumber Port Melbourne, Plumber Carrum Downs, Plumber Glen Iris, Plumber Hampton, Plumber Mordialloc, Plumber Box Hill, Plumber Middle Park, Plumber Richmond, Plumber Burwood, Plumber South Melbourne, Plumber Hampton, Plumber Albert Park, Plumber Elsternwick, Plumber Ivanhoe, Plumber Templestowe, Plumber Essendon, Plumber Pascoe Vale, Plumber Thornbury, Plumber Coburg Plumber Rye, Plumber Portsea, Plumber Sorrento, Plumber Rosebud, Plumber Mornington, Plumber Dromana, Plumber Mount Eliza, plumber Kew, Plumber Chelsea, Plumber CBD, plumber Carnegie, plumber Cheltenham, Plumber Bon Beach, Plumber Mentone, Plumber Seaford, Plumber Carrum, Plumber Safety Beach, Plumber Karingal, Plumber Langwarrin, Plumber Skye, Plumber Sandhurst, Plumber Balnarring Plumber Mount Martha, Plumber Pearcedale, Plumber Baxter, Plumber Clyde, Plumber Clyde North, Plumber Lynbrook, Plumber Lyndhurst, Plumber Fitzroy, Plumber Armadale, Plumber Hawthorn, Plumber Caulfield East, Plumber Caulfield South, Plumber Caulfield North, Plumber Officer, Plumber Hampton Park, Plumber Beaconsfield, Plumber Berwick, Plumber Narre Warren, Plumber Hallam, Plumber Endeavour Hills, Plumber Yallambie, Plumber Westmeadows, Plumber West Melbourne, Plumber Watsonia, Plumber Viewbank, Plumber Tullamarine, Plumber Southbank, Plumber Rosanna, Plumber Ripponlea, Plumber Reservoir, Plumber Princes Hill, Plumber Preston, Plumber Northcote, Plumber North Melbourne, Plumber Montmorency, Plumber Meadow Heights, Plumber Macleod, Plumber Lower Plenty, Plumber Kingsbury, Plumber Kensington and all over Melbourne.
Tags: 24 hour plumber melbourne, blocked drain melbourne, Blocked toilet Melbourne, Emergency Plumber, gas plumber melbourne, hot water system melbourne, Melbourne Plumber, Plumber Albert Park, plumber Armadale, plumber Baxter, plumber Beaconsfield, plumber Berwick, Plumber Bon Beach, Plumber Box Hill, Plumber Brighton, Plumber Brunswick, Plumber Burwood, Plumber Camberwell, Plumber Carlton, plumber Carnegie, Plumber Carrum, Plumber Carrum Downs, Plumber Caulfield, plumber Caulfield East, plumber Caulfield North, plumber Caulfield South, Plumber CBD, Plumber Chelsea, plumber Cheltenham, plumber Clyde, plumber Clyde North, Plumber Coburg, Plumber Cranbourne, Plumber Doncaster, Plumber Dromana, Plumber Elsternwick, Plumber Elwood, plumber Endeavour Hills, Plumber Essendon, plumber Fitzroy, Plumber Frankston, Plumber Glen Iris, plumber Hallam, Plumber Hampton, plumber Hampton Park, plumber Hawthorn, Plumber Ivanhoe, Plumber Karingal, Plumber Kensington, plumber Kew, Plumber Kingsbury, Plumber Langwarrin, Plumber Lower Plenty, plumber Lynbrook, plumber Lyndhurst, Plumber Macleod, Plumber Malvern, Plumber Meadow Heights, Plumber Melbourne, Plumber Mentone, Plumber Middle Park, Plumber Montmorency, Plumber Mordialloc, Plumber Mornington, plumber Mount Eliza, plumber Mount Martha, plumber Narre Warren, Plumber North Melbourne, Plumber Northcote, plumber Officer, Plumber Pascoe Vale, plumber Pearcedale, Plumber Port Melbourne, Plumber Portsea, Plumber Prahran, Plumber Preston, Plumber Princes Hill, Plumber Reservoir, Plumber Richmond, Plumber Ripponlea, Plumber Rosanna, Plumber Rosebud, Plumber Rye, Plumber Safety Beach, Plumber Sandhurst, Plumber Seaford, Plumber Skye, Plumber Sorrento, Plumber South Melbourne, Plumber South Yarra, Plumber Southbank, Plumber St Kilda, Plumber Templestowe, Plumber Thornbury, Plumber Toorak, Plumber Tullamarine, Plumber Viewbank, Plumber Watsonia, Plumber West Melbourne, Plumber Westmeadows, Plumber Williams Town, Plumber Yallambie, Plumbers Melbourne, plumbing Melbourne
Posted in: BlogLeave a Comment (0) ↓